Tuesday, October 14, 2008

American Idol




Now that my American Idol experience is officially over, I will now tell you all about my experience...p.s. sorry it has been so long...


At the beginning of August my mom and I flew out to Kansas City for the first round of auditions. "Kansas City?" some of you may ask. "Why didn't he just try out in Salt Lake?" A valid question with a valid response from me. Salt Lake auditions were held on the same day that my family and I were flying back from our service trip in Ecuador.


Anyway...to get back to auditions...my mom and I got in line on Wednesday the 6th of August @ 5:00 am to get our wrist bands and seat tickets and had to return on Friday the 8th for actual auditions. We had all of Thursday to bum around and relax before the next day. Thursday night was the season finale of So You Think You Can Dance and I cried through the whole first hour because I was so nervous for the next day!


Friday came and we had to be back at Kemper Arena in downtown Kansas City at 5:00 am. We got there and waited in line for a couple of hours until we finally got inside the arena. We learned a couple of songs as an entire group and sang them for the cameras and auditions finally got underway at around 10:00 or so. They were going for an hour or so until Ryan Seacrest showed up to do some more filming for opening shots which put auditions on hold for about an hour and a half. FINALLY it was my turn to sing! There were two judges per table and 4 auditioners per table at one time. I was third of four and when we were all done the judges pulled us all up toward the table and said "we are just going to tell you how it is." This statement kind of scared me at first because when someone starts of with a statement like that it usually isn't good. "Number two and number four, we are sorry but it's a no." At this time, my heart did a huge leap as I realized I was about to advance onto the second round!


My next round was on October the 3rd back in Kansas City and unfortunately I didn't make it through and no I didn't meet Paula, Randy and Simon. The judges I sang for told me that I do have a nice voice but that it just isn't strong enough for the competition which has now motivated me to start private voice lessons again to strenthen my voice and give Idol another shot next year.

8 comments:

MY VIEW said...

I know a really good voice coach. And its about time you blog again. I miss reading about you. Now keep in touch alrady.

Rachel said...

Awesome Andrew! I'm so proud of you for going! I totally wouldn't be brave enough for that! I totally think you should keep trying out too. Just remember me when you're famous!

DeFreese said...

yay! you're alive! sounds like your experience was a good one. very exciting. keep blogging ok!!

Lindsey said...

hey! Found your blog and wanted to say hi and I miss you!

Bobbi said...

Hey Andrew--I've been dying too hear how things went. I'm glad you had a positive experience and can't wait to see you win next season!!!

Miss you.

Tammy said...

Andrew-
Glad to see you finally changed your blog. I'm so glad I got to share in your experience with American Idol!

Love You!!

Katelyn said...

You are awesome Andrew! Way to go!

Kacey said...

Yay! I have been wondering how that turned out for a while. That's so cool! P.S. I'm home! We should all hang out soon!